Honest Question: Have Linkin Park Gone Pop?

Over the thirteen years or so of their existence, I've had a somewhat tumultuous relationship with Linkin Park. Their first album, Hybrid Theory, put them on the map worldwide and garnered them a mass of screaming fans.  However, as pleasant as I found a few of the tracks, the samey sound and trite lyrics on most of the album wasn't up to snuff for my personal tastes.

As their career progressed, I found myself less interested; still, every once in a while they'd release a single that absolutely torched the place.  Think of Feint, or Bleed It Out and how they explode from the speakers and cover the room in blood.


Of course, the prevalent thought on Linkin Park in recent years is their diminished rock power.  After flirting with M.O.R., bland Transformers soundtrack fare and skirting along the edges of adult alternative, they went full-blown electronic with previous album A Thousand Suns.  That album was the product of studio experimentation more than it was songwriting sessions, and the result sounded like they skipped releasing a proper album altogether and just put out the remixes.  Just the same, songs started to creep into the brain over time.  By the time third single Waiting For The End was released, I came upon a startling realization; I liked that record, despite my penchant for their heavier moments.

Maybe it's because the band has changed its sound so drastically over the years; I've always admired bands who can stretch their sonic boundaries.  Or maybe they graduated from the Nu-metal Bro School of Songwriting and actually became better, more mature songwriters.  Whatever the reason, A Thousand Suns ended up becoming my favourite Linkin Park album.  So, when they announced their new album would be out this summer, I approached with equal parts excitement and trepidation.  While I liked A Thousand Suns, I didn't exactly want to see that album rehashed; part of its appeal was its shock factor.  But, I could safely say I was anticipating a new Linkin Park release for the first time since... well, ever.  Last week, we got our first taste of new album Living Things in lead single Burn It Down:



It sort of splits the difference between A Thousand Suns' soft groove and the dumbed-down anthemry (just invented that word) most prominently found on Minutes To Midnight.  It's not exactly what I was jonesing for, but I'll reserve judgment on Living Things when it's released on June 26.

For now, in light of the song you've just heard, some questions to ponder: have Linkin Park gone pop?  If so, is the grief they get from less open-minded fans of their older material justified?  Does a band reserve the right to switch genres mid-career?  If their new song sort of sucks, do we still have to respect them for having the balls to record it?  And, most importantly, do I ask too many questions?

Comments

  1. The new song is the anthem (there's that word again) for the NBA Playoffs on TNT, so I think that would answer your question.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IN REVIEW: Surf Curse - "Magic Hour"

Gallantly Streaming: Avenged Sevenfold Go Full On 90's With Familiar, Stunning Results

Year in Rock 2023: Honorable Mentions