New Noise: Strange Bones, Holy White Hounds, Cilver

In lieu of a new review this week (I should have done at least one, but haven't quite found the time for the deeper listening required), I thought I'd instead try out a new feature wherein I spotlight a few new (to me at least) artists who seem to be doing some good things.

It's hard to say how often these will come along, and I may expand the concept to cover new songs by already established artists; for instance, I would have like to include the new Thrice single in here because it's a beaut, but they've been around for over 15 years so they don't quite fit the motif of what I'm going for here (although if you want to hear it, and you should, click here).

So yeah, here are three new bands I've discovered in recent weeks; I may not get around to reviewing their records when they drop, but their singles are surely worth a listen.



STRANGE BONES
God Save the Teen
From: God Save the Teen EP
Release Date: TBA

I don't know all that much about Strange Bones, but I do know that they're an emerging buzz band from the UK, they're about to drop their second EP (produced by Foo Fighters' Chris Shiflett), and the tweet announcing the release of this video was retweeted by Queens of the Stone Age. Sold!





HOLY WHITE HOUNDS
Switchblade
From: Sparkle Sparkle
Release Date: May 6, 2016

According to the Iowan band's bio, Holy White Hounds rose through the regional ranks with their debut EP just two years ago before ultimately signing with Razor & Tie, who are putting out their first album in May. The bio also boldly states that the band "coolly conjures The Strokes, Beck, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age and the Pixies". Quotes like that open a song like Switchblade up to close scrutiny, but I can't deny that the song calls most of these artists to mind while Frankensteining its influences into something odd, charming and original.





CILVER
I'm America
From: Not the End of the World
Release Date: April 29, 2016

For a band on the cusp of releasing their debut, Cilver have already had their fair share of accomplishments. Uliana has already graced the pages of Revolver's "Hottest Chicks in Hard Rock" issue, they've had guitar virtuoso Bumblefoot guest on one of their songs, and they've played on a cruise ship with Motorhead. Talk about your reputation preceding you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IN REVIEW: Surf Curse - "Magic Hour"

Gallantly Streaming: Avenged Sevenfold Go Full On 90's With Familiar, Stunning Results

Year in Rock 2023: Honorable Mentions