Festival 506: Highlights From Fredericton

As New Brunswick's capital city, it's no surprise that Fredericton is well represented from a provincial standpoint artistically. As an artistic hub of sorts, there's no shortage of inspiration to be drawn from the central New Brunswick city.

I've been privy to many shows in the area (admittedly not so many in recent years, though); I used to travel there quite often with one of my hometown bands and, on one fateful night at the Chestnut, the band in question let me handle vocals on their version of Pantera's Walk. So, naturally, I forgot the words. They let me redeem myself at a later date, but butchering that song is my clearest, most dubious musical memory of Fredericton.

Thankfully, there's nothing dubious about the following four artists from Fredericton, who will be appearing this weekend as part of Festival 506 in Miramichi:



JACLYN REINHART
Pop N' Country Stage
Mill Cove Coffee, Friday @ 8pm

Five years removed from her debut EP, Jaclyn Reinhart's new album Adventures (released in May) is bombastic and electric, conjuring memories of strong female artists of the '90s like Liz Phair and Veruca Salt, with some modern sheen added for good measure.






THE OLYMPIC SYMPHONIUM
Pop N' Rock Stage
Kin Centre, Friday @ 9:30pm

Celebrating a decade as a group, The Olympic Symphonium are presumably working on the follow-up to 2014's Chance to Fate, a record which won the award for Anglophone Recording of the Year at the Music NB Awards two years ago. If the clip below is any indication, the new songs are everything we've come to expect; lush, majestic, borderline hypnotic.





DAVID IN THE DARK
Snap, Crackle & Rock Stage
The Goodie Shop, Friday @ 11:30pm

David in the Dark's debut LP Fire came out in May, a thick and layered indie rock record that bursts from the speakers. The level of quality on the songs and their performances sound like a band on their fourth or fifth album, not their debut. Suffice to say, David in the Dark are setting themselves up for some pretty great things, and not just in New Brunswick.






MOTHERHOOD
Snap, Crackle & Rock Stage
The Goodie Shop, Friday @ 1am

When I picked up my weekend pass for Festival 506, longtime friend and big-time local music supporter Paddy Quinn glanced over the list of acts to fill me in on the one he thought I'd most like to check out. He named Motherhood, and so in doing these posts I set out to try some of their stuff. Twenty seconds into Greed, from their latest release Baby Teeth (available on cassette!), I was reminded that Paddy Quinn knows me really, really well.




Come back tomorrow, when we take a look at some of the artists making their way to Festival 506 from Moncton.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IN REVIEW: Surf Curse - "Magic Hour"

Gallantly Streaming: Avenged Sevenfold Go Full On 90's With Familiar, Stunning Results

Year in Rock 2023: Honorable Mentions