Year in Rock 2017: The Playlist

Well, friends, the end of another year has crept up on us and tapped our collective shoulder with its icy fingers. Another year of ups and downs, triumph and tragedy, nearing its conclusion; of course, this means it's once again time to take stock on a year that was and pay respects to some of its musical highlights, as I've done in one way or another for most of my life now.

On the surface, 2017 didn't offer all that much in terms of rock music; as hip hop takes firm control as the genre of societal import, much of the excitement that's drummed up for rock music can be attributed to old bands creating new music for old guys like me. The name of the game seems to be stagnation; listen a little closer, though, and you may discover that rock music is as vibrant and diverse as ever. While certain pop-leaning trends emerged among a number of mainstream rock bands, there's certainly no reason to lament the genre's so-called assured demise.

If I managed to compile a playlist of 65 songs and over 4 hours long (and yes, I made exclusions), I think that tells you all you need to know about the fate of rock.

So, check out the playlist; and, while you do, consider each song you hear a nominee for this year's Sound Bites Song of the Year award. This year, I'm keeping it relatively simple, going back to simply naming a song and album of the year; that said, be on the lookout for my Album of the Year nominees later this week, and the winners to be announced in December.

Most of all, though, thanks for your continued support of my writing and the music. Through the six years and change I've had this place going, you have collectively visited over 70,000 times. That floors me, it humbles me, and I can only hope to continue to provide content you feel is worth your time.

Now, enjoy some music!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IN REVIEW: Surf Curse - "Magic Hour"

Gallantly Streaming: Avenged Sevenfold Go Full On 90's With Familiar, Stunning Results

Year in Rock 2023: Honorable Mentions