Year in Rock 2018: Album of the Year


2017 was the first year in recent memory that my Album of the Year was solidified so damn early. By the time summer rolled around, I knew that nothing short of a miracle would dethrone Father John Misty's Pure Comedy as my favourite album of 2017; any last minute listening sessions only served to find the first runner-up.

This year was a little different, so as to say, more like previous years; a lot of records came out this year which I consider great, and my choice for the top spot has changed many times over throughout the year. It was, if anything, worse than normal to figure it out; whereas I often have two and sometimes three records fighting it out in my mind by this time of the year, 2018 had more like six or seven serious contenders. From established artists turning out career highlights at a stage in their career when that shouldn't be possible to young bands hitting their stride and promising bright futures, this year's decision making process was tough.

That said, I did it. I put my nominees in an order that I can live with. At least until I click "post". Let's do this thing!

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
JOHN BUTLER TRIO Home
CORROSION OF CONFORMITY No Cross No Crown
PANIC! AT THE DISCO Pray for the Wicked
TURBOWOLF The Free Life
ZEAL & ARDOR Stranger Fruit

20


NATHANIEL RATELIFF & THE NIGHT SWEATS
Tearing At the Seams


19


JOYCE MANOR
Million Dollars to Kill Me


18


LAURA JANE GRACE & THE DEVOURING MOTHERS
Bought to Rot


17


PIG DESTROYER
Head Cage


16


TURNSTILE
Time & Space


15


DAN MANGAN
More or Less


14


THE VACCINES
Combat Sports


13


BRIAN FALLON
Sleepwalkers


12


FUCKED UP
Dose Your Dreams


11


COURTNEY BARNETT
Tell Me How You Really Feel


10


HOT SNAKES
Jericho Sirens


9


FATHER JOHN MISTY
God's Favorite Customer


8


GHOST
Prequelle


7


SCREAMING FEMALES
All At Once


6


COHEED AND CAMBRIA
Vaxis Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures


5


THE DECEMBERISTS
I'll Be Your Girl


4


CLUTCH
Book of Bad Decisions


3


SUPERCHUNK
What a Time to Be Alive


2


THE DIRTY NIL
Master Volume


1


PARQUET COURTS
Wide Awake

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IN REVIEW: Surf Curse - "Magic Hour"

Gallantly Streaming: Avenged Sevenfold Go Full On 90's With Familiar, Stunning Results

Year in Rock 2023: Honorable Mentions