Year in Rock 2011 Awards Schedule

If you can count you'll have noticed that today's post was the 50th nominee for Year in Rock 2011, which means that's the end of the road as far as nominations go.  I think those who've followed along daily will agree that there are a lot of styles and flavours represented in this year's class, and I sincerely hope that I was able to shine a light on a new band or two that you may not have experienced before along the way.

I know that's the case for The Silent Comedy, a band who I gave the web equivalent of a fist bump to on December 17.  To my shock and amazement, that post is the landslide winner for most page views of all nominees; as of this writing, it alone counts for 50 (!!!) of all visits to Sound Bites.  All in about three days, to boot.  The next closest entry is Radiohead with a paltry 13 views.  And, even if it's only on my blog, it's nice to see a critic's darling juggernaut like Radiohead trumped by a considerably lesser known, up-and-coming, independent band.  Needless to say I'm pleased, quite surprised, and very thankful for the traffic (which search engine do I give a fist bump for sending you all here?).

Now, then, on to the what's what and when it'll be:

Tuesday, December 20: Honourable Mentions
I always miss a few and/or omit someone on purpose and then feel kind of bad for them.  Five such artists will get their Year in Rock 2011 footnote status cemented later today.

Wednesday, December 21: Day of Rest
This is not a God complex, rather an admission that I am just a lowly human approaching middle age while grinding it out in retail during the busiest time of the year and somehow juggling it all with this blog which, if I may toot my own horn, I have only posted a day late once during the entire 50-day stretch.  I think I deserve to take an extra day to deliberate.

Thursday, December 22: Top 25 Songs of 2011
Of the 50, only half will make it through to the countdown.  Of them, only one can be Song of the Year.  I know it's not that important coming from a little shit blog like this one, I'm just trying to trump it up a bit before I inevitably let most of you down.  You know, like when Metallica releases a new record.

Monday, December 26: Top 20 Albums of 2011
There have been some really good albums released this year, but there are two big questions to answer.  Which one rose above the rest, transcending other great records to become the best?  And, in an increasingly song-oriented, consumption-heavy and commerce-light music world, do albums even matter anymore?  I'm not touching the second question any time soon, but I'll do my damnedest to answer the first one on Boxing Day.

That's the plan, anyway.  I'm sure I'll be bombarding a good number of you with updates on Facebook as the posts happen, and I've got a sneaking suspicion there may be an extra surprise or two thrown in for good measure. 

So a big thank you for checking out this vain little writing exercise I call my blog, and pushing it to almost 700 views in under 60 days.  Make sure to check back for the winners, and I hope I can sustain your interest into the new year as we charge ahead and forge a path into what will hopefully be an equally exciting
Year in Rock 2012.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IN REVIEW: Surf Curse - "Magic Hour"

Gallantly Streaming: Avenged Sevenfold Go Full On 90's With Familiar, Stunning Results

Year in Rock 2023: Honorable Mentions