Year in Rock 2011 Nominee: The Silent Comedy

THE SILENT COMEDY
Gasoline (Acoustic)

From: Cruelty & Clemency (EP)
Released: November 1

How do you know you've found buried treasure?  In rock, the telltale signs of new discovery have morphed over the decades.  It used to be you'd hear of a band you'd never seen on MuchMusic, heard on the radio, or read about in a magazine.  Of course, it's 2011 now, so none of those things really exist anymore.  So, after listening to a random stream of Cruelty & Clemency last month, I suspected I'd stumbled upon uncharted territory.  Intrigued, I went to Wikipedia to learn more.  They didn't have a listing.  Undeterred, I went to Amazon.  Cruelty & Clemency wasn't available.  I then Googled their website, where I learned that the EP was not only nonexistent on CD, but that it wasn't even mentioned on their own website

At this point, I was bound and determined to get to the bottom of it.  Through a haphazard maze of tweets and Facebook posts, I pieced together that Cruelty & Clemency is a collection of leftovers and alternate versions of songs featured on their 2010 Common Faults album.  That, and the boys in the band have some wonderful facial hair expressions going on.  I also happened upon the stunning, one-take video for Gasoline (which has a paltry 5000 views on YouTube, by the way).  That's when I knew that I'd found buried treasure.

If Mumford and Sons can go platinum, then The Silent Comedy should definitely be on your radar.  If the Black Keys can go platinum, then The Silent Comedy should at least get a record deal.  If you like the feeling of getting on the ground floor with a band, watch this video and get back to me in five years when we're reminiscing about the long long ago before The Silent Comedy were famous.

Comments

  1. Wait til you see them live. An unmatched experience, pretty much like an amazing punk show with banjo...if you dont have plans yet and are local try and get tickets to their NYE show with Transfer. It's going to be insane.

    -Marissa
    marissamortati.blog.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IN REVIEW: Surf Curse - "Magic Hour"

Gallantly Streaming: Avenged Sevenfold Go Full On 90's With Familiar, Stunning Results

Year in Rock 2023: Honorable Mentions