IN REVIEW: Dead Sara - "Temporary Things Taking Up Space"


Upon reviewing Dead Sara's second album, 2015's Pleasure to Meet You, I talked about how their pending major label contract had fallen through, and how it may have been a blessing in disguise because we got a raw, powerful, uncompromising and amazing record.

Well, here we are again; Dead Sara has another shot at major label success, only this time there seems to be concessions all over the place.

First off, this is a mere six song EP (and, from the looks of it, not the precursor to a new full-length); it's over and out in just over 20 minutes. After a wait of more than three years, it's a pretty slight offering. That said, this seems to be the way a lot of new major label artists are being promoted these days, so I suppose this is what we get. I also feel like I have to mention the band and/or label's refusal to release it on CD, so old guys like me can't even put on the shelf next to the others.

Next, there's the matter of the music; far be it for me to criticize a band for going after a lighter sound, but the difference between TTTUS and Pleasure to Meet You is jarring; comparatively, it feels like a batch of songs designed to maximize exposure and spins. Ironically, the one glaringly obvious exception, Unamerican, was the first song chosen to promote the EP. This most closely calls back to earlier Dead Sara, with a biting dialogue and slashing guitars. For the majority, though, guitars are cleaner and synth-pop flourishes show up throughout, giving the band a more sanitary and socially acceptable sound.

Finally, I have to address the concession in production; like so many big league bands, the mix on TTTUS is loud and not all that concerned about the ears of people who enjoy listening to music the way it was meant to be heard. I've talked about it so many times over the years, and I'm too tired to keep fighting it with common sense, so instead I'll just say if you insist on using garbage masters then I'm going to insist on calling it garbage music.

Flashes of perceived progression and a few really good songs aren't enough to save this EP, because the progression feels forced and motivated by a desire to play by "major label rules" rather than honest exploration of the band's sound; plus, those few really good songs have garbage mastering, but I'm sure they'll sound just great playing in the background of whatever 18-30 demographic TV series the label is negotiating for their inclusion in.

Look, you can check my receipts; this band put out two of my absolute favourite records of the decade. I have championed this band from the moment I first heard them, and I went into this year hoping for yet another mind blowing experience. What I got instead was a watered down effort that I simply can't look at through the rose coloured glasses of a fan; this might be up to their record label's standards, but if it also meets those of the band, then Dead Sara has lowered their standards considerably.

June 8, 2018 • Atlantic
Highlights Anybody • Unamerican • Heaven's Got a Back Door

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IN REVIEW: Surf Curse - "Magic Hour"

Gallantly Streaming: Avenged Sevenfold Go Full On 90's With Familiar, Stunning Results

Year in Rock 2023: Honorable Mentions